Since iOS 11 was launched in September with a refreshed app store, we have been working hard to make sure that the OneSky platform can support all the relevant changes. We are excited to announce that the updates to our translation management platform has been completed, and you can continue to seamlessly localize your new app descriptions with OneSky!
What updates were included OneSky Platform (for iOS 11 app store)?
- The ‘Subtitle’ field is now available. You can enter up to 30 characters in this box. An example of a subtitle may be your app’s tagline.
- The ‘Promotional text’ field is now available. With a 170 characters limit, you may consider highlighting any special promotion in this field.
- The ‘App Name’ is now restricted to 30 characters. If your app’s name is longer than that, you may consider updating it.
Easily localize your app descriptions with us
1. First, login to our platform and search your app by keywords. Our system will then automatically import the app description. Alternatively, you can also manually input the app description that needs to be localized.
2. On the next page, you will then see the required fields that need be filled in. Here, you will find the new ‘Subtitle’ and ‘Promotional text’ fields!
Tips: Adding notes next to the field could facilitate communication with translators, and hence, enhance translation quality.
Don’t forget to localize your App Preview Too
The new iOS 11 app store enables you to localize app previews for the app store in all languages. Don’t miss out on this! App previews autoplay with muted audio when someone visits your product page. Make sure the first few seconds of the app previews are visually compelling and fully localized, so the viewers can relate to the app immediately. Having an app preview could greatly increase the visibility of your app in the app store and also conversion rate.
Interested in learning all major changes on iOS 11 related to localization? Check out our blog post – Going Global With iOS 11: WWDC 2017 Localization Updates.
OneSky provides seamless end-to-end localization solutions for thousands of mobile apps, games, websites, and businesses worldwide. We offer professional translation services in 50+ languages and a translation management system (TMS) with API integrations and plugins to streamline your workflow. We hire and carefully screen our own translators to ensure the highest control over quality. Using OneSky’s powerful QA features, cross-functional teams collaborate efficiently to deliver faster release cycles and higher quality translations. See how you can go global at www.oneskyapp.com
Note: The tutorial is updated on 31 Oct, 2017 to match with Apple’s update.
Through iTunes Connect, you can add localized metadata, keywords, and screenshots in different languages in order to aid discovery and to reach more international users.
For exmaple, if you have uploaded localized metadata, keywords and screenshots in German, the users who have set their iOS language to German would see your text and images in German. This also applies to all the German-speaking stores on the “Rights and Pricing” page that you selected. And the users in those German-speaking stores would be able to discover your app by searching the localized keywords that you have provided.
Localizing the app description is also a good way to test the water if you do not want to commit full resources to translate the whole app right at the beginning. A typical app description usually just contains a few hundred words so it shouldn’t be expensive to translate it. If you start to observe increased downloads after localizing your app description, you can then translate the app itself to really engage users.
Steps to add a new localization on iTunes Connect
- On iTunes Connect, go to “My Apps“.
- Click into the app that you’d like to add translations to.
- Under “iOS App“, click on the “English” drop-down menu. Simply select the language that you’d like to edit the translation. If a language is not activated yet, click on the “Add” button next to that language and you’d be able to add a translation for that.
- Input the translated metadata for your chosen language.
For a list of iTunes App Store supported languages for metadata, please kindly refer to our FAQ “List of iTunes App Store supported languages for metadata“.
More resources about app store localization
Doing localization right can be tricky, even if the content is as simple as an app store description. That’s why we have prepared several tutorials for you. With these guides, you can learn how to achieve localization success in app store. Access to our free guides by clicking the following links.